Feeling a little heavy after the cooler winter months? It's almost spring time and it's definitely time to cleanse and rejuvenate the body for vibrant daily energy during this warmer season.
Here are my top ways to cleanse naturally and effortlessly:
- Front load your food intake to feel lighter and lose some excess winter pounds. By this I mean eat most of your daily food intake earlier in the day for breakfast and lunch. Ensure there is enough protein and fat in your breakfast and lunch to get you comfortably through to the next meal. And make lunch the most substantial meal so that you use up all the energy it provides by the evening, when it is time for a light dinner meal such as a vegetarian dish, cleansing soup or detoxifying salad.
- Drink lots of water with fresh lemon and fresh organic vegetable juice to flush toxins out of your body and alkalize your entire system, promoting a state of balance and wellness. Lemon is high in vitamin C and all vegetables contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Lemon water and vegetable juice is not a meal replacement, instead use these drinks to complement a clean and mindful way of eating. Our bodies need healthy fats and protein from high quality whole foods such as eggs, wild salmon and grass fed beef etc. for satiety and optimum functioning. We get ample complex carbohydrates from the plant foods we eat.
- Ditch all packaged foods with ingredient lists. The main things to cut down on or eliminate on this cleanse are refined sugars and flours. Sugars include alcohol such as wine. And there is no need for artificial sweeteners or even "natural sweeteners" such as coconut sugar or maple syrup. If you want to eat something sweet, opt for a piece of fresh organic fruit such as an apple or a handful of berries, 1-2 squares of organic dark chocolate (min 70%), or bake some sweet potato in coconut oil with a dusting of ground cinnamon. There is ample natural sugars in these to satisfy your sweet tooth. It's all about training your taste buds.
- Eat a mix of raw and lightly cooked cruciferous vegetables. These are the "broccoli family" including some of my personal favorite veggies of all time such as cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts and kale. They are very detoxifying and taste delicious when consumed raw (in a salad, juice or as a snack with some dip) or cooked (sautéed, made into a soup, or baked with a little coconut oil). YUM
- Supplement with micro algae such as spirulina or chlorella. You can get them in pill form or powder form. I like powder form because it is easy to mix into a smoothie or vegetable juice. These super algae's bind with heavy metals and other toxic substances, that lets be honest, can be hard to avoid in this modern world, and help to efficiently get them out of your system so that you can achieve and maintain a state of good health.
*Common sources of heavy metals include tap water, cosmetics / body products, dental murcury fillings, large wild fish such as tuna, pots and pans, pharmaceutical drugs, processed foods, baby formula, furniture and house finishes, white flour (refined wheat flour) and canned food... the list goes on!